The tourist village of Ruka offers almost unlimited opportunities for sport, shopping, and enjoyment. Both adults and children are welcome at the Happy Family Gym sports centre in the lower floor of the Kumpare shopping centre. Young children can enjoy themselves in the play room.
History trails on the banks of the Kuusamo Lake
Historical path consists of four information boards next to Kuusamojärvi lake, at Kelanranta and Kirkkolahti area. Themes: History of Kuusamo area from ice age to World War, life at Kelanranta area, history of Kuusamo church and Kuusamo during the war.
Monuments in the Kuusamo district
Memorial of the 3rd Army Corps
The memorial is located in the grounds of the Karhuntassu Tourist and Nature Centre. This monument, designed by Architect Seppo Koutaniemi, is a memorial for the soldiers who fought in the Winter War and Continuation War, and was unveiled at the 3rd Army Corps Veteran’s Day in 1989.
This monument is located along the Kirkkotie road close to the Parish Hall and was unveiled in September 1994, a date that marked 50 years from the final evacuation. The monument was designed by Architect Seppo Koutaniemi.
Memorial to the Kuolio Border Station and fallen Airborne Troops
This monument is located on the Ouluntie road in the village of Kuolio on the shores of Lake Kovajärvi approximately 22 kilometres from Kuusamo in the direction of Oulu.
Memorial Statue for Fallen Heroes
This monument is located in the Heroes’ Cemetery next to the Pyhän Risti Church (Church of the Holy Cross). This statue made from grey granite was designed by sculptor and teacher of visual arts, Mauno Juvonen, and it was unveiled in 1957.
Monument to the Heroes of the War of Independence
This monument is located in the cemetery of the Pyhän Risti Church (Church of the Holy Cross), next to the Heroes’ Cemetery of the last World War. It was probably erected in the 1920s by the Kuusamo Civil Guard. This memorial stone stands in memory of the people fighting on the side of the Whites (valkoiset) from Kuusamo that died in the civil war in 1918 in East Karelia and Tampere. The stone has the names of the eleven fallen men with text.
Old Church and Belfry Monument in the Pyhän Risti Church (Church of the Holy Cross) grounds
This monument is located on the site of the old belfry constructed in 1759 and burned by the German soldiers in September 1944. The monument was designed and built by Parish Treasurer Veikko Salokannel in 1962. The plaque on the monument was first seen at the Cemetery for Finnish Heroes, and later at the Cemetery for German Heroes. The original cross from the old belfry can be found on the monument.
Väkevät Näkevät Tekevät (Strong, Sighted, Industrious)
This bronze sculpture erected in honour of the reconstruction of Kuusamo is located in front of the Town Hall. The monument was designed by Professor Terho Sakki and was unveiled during the National Ethnographic Days in the summer of 1986.
Risteysveistos (Junction Sculpture) – Monument to the White Sea Karelia Trade Route
This junction sculpture located at the intersection of the Kitkantie and Vuotungintie roads was completed in 1995 and designed by architect Seppo Koutaniemi. The sculpture depicts the White Sea Karelia Trade Route and the four branches were formed from an axe ornament found in Kuusamo.
Tyrsky (Breaker) – junction sculpture
Located at the intersection of the Ouluntie and Kajaanintie roads, the Tyrsky junction sculpture was made in 1998 and designed by Aaro Vitikka. The sculpture depicts a large rising wave and the status of Kuusamo as a vital passage east and west.
Käylä border region church memorial
In Paanajärvi, next to the border region church in North Kuusamo, a monument was unveiled in 1989 in memory of those buried during 1934 – 1944.
Monument for the fallen German soldiers fallen on the Kestenga route
This monument was erected on the shores of Lake Kuusamojärvi in Vanttajankannas in autumn 1996. The monument is located by the Hiltusentie junction on the left side of the Lämsänkyläntie road. The parking area for the Lahtela – Vanttaja Trail of the Suomen Salpa (Finland’s Bolt) bunker line is adjacent to the monument.
Suomen Salpa (Finland’s Bolt) bunker line; Lahtela – Vanttaja Trail
The Suomen Salpa bunker line stretches approximately 1,200 kilometres and is a massive defence line that was constructed during the years 1940 – 1941 and 1944 to defend Finland’s eastern border. Suomen Salpa bunker line runs along Finland’s eastern border from the Gulf of Finland up to Savukoski, continuing with entrenchments right the way up to the Arctic Ocean. In Kuusamo the intention was to protect the eastern side of the parish village by, for instance, constructing strong anti-tank obstacles to the necks of land lying between the larger lakes. Along the Lahtela – Vanttaja Trail there are numerous sites relating to the history of the Suomen Salpa defence line, field railway and timber haulage facility. The departure point for the trail is located 13.3 kilometres from the centre of Kuusamo; 6.2 km south along the Kajaanintie road, then take a right along Lämsänkyläntie and continue for 6.1 km. The parking place can be found on the left side of the road, and the 4.5 km long trail starts from the other side of the Lämsänkyläntie road.